Cancellation of Removal
To be eligible for cancellation of removal, a person must demonstrate:
- 10 years of continuous physical presence in the U.S.;
- Good moral character during that period of time;
- No disqualifying criminal offenses; and
- Exceptional and extremely unusual hardship to a U.S. Citizen or Lawful Permanent Resident spouse, parent or child.
If the individual is a lawful permanent resident and is placed in removal proceedings, the requirements are different. That individual must show:
- 7 years of continuous residence after admission in any status;
- 5 years as a lawful permanent resident; and
- No aggravated felony convictions.