Outstanding Professor & Researcher Petitions
To qualify in the Outstanding Professor and Researcher priority worker category, the applicant must be internationally recognized for his or her outstanding achievements. In this category, the worker must have a job offer, but no labor certification is required.
The evidentiary requirements for this category are as follows:
- International recognition as outstanding in a specific academic field;
- At least three years teaching or research in the field. The teaching or research experience can be gained while in pursuit of an advanced degree, but only if the alien had full responsibility for the courses taught, or the research is recognized as outstanding; and
- An offer of employment. The offer of employment must be (1) a tenure or tenure-track teaching position; or (2) a comparable research position at a university or institute of higher education; or (3) a research position with a private company if the employer has at least three full time researchers and has documented research accomplishments in the field. The position must be permanent meaning for an indefinite term or term of unlimited duration with an expectation of continued employment.
Unlike applicants in the extraordinary ability subcategory, applicants in the outstanding professor or researcher subcategory must have a job offer. However, as with all first preference employment petitions, no labor certification is required.
The outstanding professor or researcher must demonstrate two of the following criteria:
- Receipt of a major prize or award for outstanding achievement in the academic field;
- Membership in associations that require outstanding achievements of their members;
- Published material in professional publications written by others about the applicant’s work;
- Participation as a judge of the work of others in the field;
- Original scientific or scholarly contributions in the field; or
- Authorship of scholarly books or articles in journals with international circulation.