English Spanish

B-1 (Business Visitors)

B-1 (Business Visitors)

The most common nonimmigrant visa is the B visa. There are two types of B visas: B-1 visas for business visitors, and B-2 visas for visitors for pleasure.

How can I qualify for the B-1 business visitor category?

The B-1 business visitor category is available to persons who can demonstrate that they 1) have no intention of abandoning their residence abroad and 2) they are visiting the U.S. temporarily for business. Entry is, theoretically, granted for up to a year, but most B-1 admissions are approved for just the period necessary to conduct business and are normally no longer than 6 months.

What limitations are associated with the B-1 business visitor category?

Business visitors are quite limited in the activities in which they are permitted to engage. B-1 visa holders must not be engaging in productive employment in the United States (U.S.) either for a U.S. employer or on an independent basis. Any work done in the U.S. must be performed on behalf of a foreign employer and paid for by the foreign employer. The work should also be related to international commerce or trade.

The U.S. consular officer reviewing the case will consider several factors when deciding whether to issue a visa including: 1) whether a U.S. worker could be hired to perform the work; 2) whether the work product is predominantly created in the U.S.; and 3) whether the work is controlled mainly by a U.S. company. If the answer to any of these questions is “yes” then the B-1 visa is likely to be denied. An exception may be made in the “B-1 in lieu of H-1B” scenario where a worker would qualify for H-1B status except that the employer is not located in the U.S. But note that many consulates will not consider B-1 in lieu of H-1B filings.

In order to qualify for a tourist visa, an individual must meet a few broad requirements necessary to show nonimmigrant intent:

  • The applicant is coming to the U.S. for a specific period of time;
  • The applicant will not be engaging in work for wages and will engage solely in legitimate business activities that are permissible in the B-1 category; and
  • The applicant will maintain a foreign residence that he or she has no intention of abandoning during the period of his or her stay in the U.S.

For a tourist to show nonimmigrant intent and demonstrate compliance with the above tests, the key issues are financial arrangements for the trip, specificity of trip plans, ties to the applicant’s home country and ties to the U.S.

Generally speaking, an applicant’s chances for getting a visa will be improved if the planned trip is short, the itinerary is clearly listed, the applicant can easily prove he or she has the money to pay for the trip, and the applicant has a job at home and can show that the time away has been approved by the employer. Of course, in all cases the home country makes a big difference. The lower the visa overstay rate for nationals of a particular country, the better the chances overall that the application will be approved.

How do I apply for a B-1 Visa?

The application for a B-1 visa is made at a U.S. consulate. Each consulate has its own procedures for applying for visas and applicants should always closely read the instructions posted at the web site for the consulate. Links to most U.S. consulates abroad can be found at www.travel.state.gov. An applicant will normally apply at the closest consular post in their home country. Some consular posts in other countries also accept applications from third country nationals. Most of the time, the application must be made in person, though some consulates allow the application to be made by mail, a travel agent, or drop box. Under new State Department guidelines, almost all applicants must now be interviewed in person. This change means that it can sometimes take several weeks to get an appointment at a busy consulate.

How do I change my status from a B visa?

It is sometimes possible to change from a B-1 visa to another visa once in the U.S. Individuals are cautioned, however, that USCIS could deny a change of status request if they believe the person entered with the intention of switching to another visa. This is particularly true for changes to student visas and when someone applies for a change very soon after entering the U.S. Change requests made within 30 days are particularly suspect unless a good explanation for the change of heart can be provided or the intention to apply for a change was disclosed in advance to a consular officer or USCIS inspector.


Complete the form to schedule a consultation.

Schedule An
Appointment Online

Powered by NUVEW Web Solutions
We Are Open For Business

Effective March 25, 2020, in response to “Stay at Home” orders Joseph & Hall PC is closed to the public and is now conducting nearly all of its operations remotely during the COVID-19 health crisis through April 18th.

We continue to have a limited number of staff in our office to perform basic operations such as assembling and filing petitions, receiving and distributing mail and issuing checks. We are grateful to be in a business that is conducive to remote work and for all of your patience and support.  Our lawyers and paralegals are here to answer the array of questions that continue to arise daily and will keep you informed during these rapidly changing times.  We will hold telephonic or video meetings rather than in-person meetings.  These meetings can be done by SKYPE or Zoom Conference call so that you can continue to interact with your legal team, face-to-face.

We remain committed to delivering outstanding client services.  We do have one important request – please do not come into the office in person for your health and safety and that of our employees.  Please mail or email all documents to our office.  Also, you can make any required payments online at https://vpspay.com/p/3 or make them over the phone by calling 303-297-9171 or by mail.  Please stay healthy!

Call Now Button