badge1 badge2
English Spanish

Immigration Relief for Filipinos in the Wake of Typhoon Haiyan


Immigration Relief for Filipinos in the Wake of Typhoon Haiyan

Contributed by Kim Tremblay, Associate Attorney

If you are a citizen of the Philippines impacted by Typhoon Haiyan and currently have status in the United States or are waiting to obtain status, you may benefit from certain relief measures that the U.S. government has put into place.  For example, you may be able to extend your period of stay in the United States, request that your application for status or work authorization be expedited, or get help if you have lost your immigration documents.  Filipino students in the United States may also be able to request work authorization for off-campus jobs.

The Department of Homeland Security (“DHS”) has yet to enact measures to grant Filipinos Temporary Protected Status (“TPS”).   DHS has the authority to grant temporary status to nationals of countries impacted by natural and human-made disasters.  Its most recent TPS designations include Haiti and Syria.  Thus, Filipinos should beware of claims that they are currently eligible for TPS and should look out for DHS updates on TPS for Filipinos.

If you think you can benefit from the measures described above, you should contact an immigration attorney for assistance.

For more information, see:


Get in Touch

Complete the form to schedule a consultation.
  • This field is for validation purposes and should be left unchanged.
Call Now Button