English Spanish

H-4 Employment Authorization for Certain Spouses


H-4 Employment Authorization for Certain Spouses

Contributed by Melanie Corrin, Partner

United States Citizenship & Immigration Services (USCIS) Director León Rodríguez announced today that, effective May 26, 2015 the Department of Homeland Security (DHS) will begin allowing certain H-4 dependent spouses to apply for employment authorization.  The regulation change requires that the H-1B principle spouses are seeking employment-based lawful permanent resident (LPR) status.  DHS amended the regulations to allow these H-4 dependent spouses to accept employment in the United States, after application to and approval from USCIS.

The two conditions under which an H-4 derivative spouse will be eligible to apply for an Employment Authorization Document (EAD) are when the principle H-1B Are the principal beneficiaries of an approved Form I-140, Immigrant Petition for Alien Worker; or the principle has been granted H-1B extended status beyond the six-year limit due to a timely filed PERM or I-140 Petition.

If you believe you are eligible for this type of employment authorization, or have any questions on this new development, please call Joseph Law Firm.

Get in Touch

Complete the form to schedule a consultation.

Schedule An
Appointment Online

Powered by NUVEW Web Solutions