Colorado Springs Family Immigration Lawyer

HomeColorado Springs Family Immigration Lawyer

Colorado Springs Family Immigration Lawyer

There comes a time when a U.S. citizen or lawful permanent resident (green card holder) seeks to either bring their relatives outside of the U.S. to the country or to have relatives who are already in the U.S. be given green cards based on the family relationship. Fortunately for them, the U.S. immigration law allows for this to happen, but not all relatives qualify. 

Rather, the law defines who among your relatives qualifies to obtain a green card through your family relationship. The law also places these relatives in categories that determine how long one must wait in line to get the family-based green card. 

An experienced Colorado Springs family immigration lawyer can help in making sure this process is done seamlessly and without delay.

Types of Family-Based Immigration

U.S. immigration law makes it possible for certain noncitizens who are family members of U.S. citizens or green card holders to apply and become green card holders themselves based on their particular family relationships with the U.S. citizen or green card holder. 

The law categorizes these family members into two groups: Immediate Relatives and Preference Immigrant categories.

Green Card for Immediate Relatives of U.S. Citizens

To obtain a green card as an “immediate relative,” you must satisfy the following eligibility requirements: 

You qualify as an immediate relative for immigration law purposes if you are:

  • Spouse of a U.S. citizen
  • Unmarried child of a U.S. citizen under the age of 21 years or
  • The parent of a U.S. citizen, provided the U.S. citizen is over the age of 21 years

If you fall into any of the above family relationships and are in the United States, you can apply for your green card through “adjustment of status.” This is a process by which an eligible green card applicant can apply and obtain their green card in the U.S. without being required to leave the country to complete the application process at a U.S. consulate in their native country.

If you are an immediate relative of a U.S. citizen as defined above and you are outside the United States, you will apply for your green card under a process known as “consular processing,” meaning your green card application will be filed and processed at a U.S. consulate in your country or another country where your sponsoring relative indicated in their approved petition. 

Preference Immigrant Relatives

If you are not an immediate relative as defined above, then you may qualify to apply for a green card under the preference immigrant categories as follows:

  • First preference (F1)- unmarried sons and daughters of U.S. citizens who are over the age of 21.
  • Second preference (F2A) – spouses and unmarried children of Green Card holders who are under 21 years of age.
  • Second preference (F2B) – unmarried sons and daughters of green card holders who are over the age of 21 years.
  • Third preference (F3) – married children of U.S. citizens; and
  • Fourth preference (F4)– brothers and sisters of U.S. citizens, but the U.S. citizen must be at least 21 years old.

Call a Colorado Springs Family Immigration Lawyer

If you are in the Colorado Springs area and need a family immigration lawyer, contact Joseph & Hall today to discuss your individual situation and how we can help you.


Appeals & Federal Litigation Cases


We’ve filed a case challenging the US Department of Labor over a new rule that dramatically hikes wages for H-1B, H-1B1, PERM and E-3 cases.



This case challenged the Presidential Proclamation 10014 and 10052 with respect to DV winners. The judge has certified the case as a class action …



This case challenged visa processing delays and the Trump Administration’s immigrant visa ban, Presidential Proclamation 10014.



This case features “pair[s] of star-crossed lovers” on whose lives, like Romeo and Juliet’s, a plague has wreaked havoc.



We Are Committed to Your Dreams.

Countless people dream of becoming a U.S. citizen. If your application was rejected by the USCIS, we are here to fight for your best interests.

Get in touch with us. Write us a message.

  • This field is for validation purposes and should be left unchanged.
Tap Here To Schedule An Appointment
It's Fast & Easy