Aurora Family Immigration Lawyers

HomeAurora Family Immigration Lawyers

Aurora Family Immigration Lawyers

Relationships with family members are perhaps the most important aspects of lives for many people in the United States, so it is sensible that such people will want to make sure their loved ones can be in the same country as themselves. United States citizens and lawful permanent residents or green card holders may seek to have their family members who are currently living overseas come to live and work in this country, and Aurora family immigration lawyers can help make this dream become a reality. 

Certain United States citizens and lawful permanent residents may seek to apply for family members who are already here and may not yet have legal status. Under federal immigration law, a citizen or green card holder can petition to have certain relatives immigrate to the country and obtain a green card, and such relatives could later become eligible to obtain citizenship through naturalization when they meet certain requirements.

Bringing a Family Member to the United States

Family members that will be eligible for family-based immigration will depend on whether the petitioner or sponsor is a United States citizen or a lawful permanent resident. Family members that may be eligible based on a person’s status include:

  • United States Citizens – United States citizens can petition for their spouses, children (regardless of age, married or unmarried), parents, and siblings. You could also petition for a specialized fiancé(e) visa when you are engaged to a foreign national living abroad. Certain spouses and children may be eligible for K-3 or K-4 Nonimmigrant Visas while Petitions for Alien Relatives for permanent residence are pending.
  • Permanent Residents or Green Card Holders – People with green cards have much more limited options as it relates to family-based immigration petitions. They can file petitions for their spouses, unmarried children who are under 21 years of age, and unmarried sons or daughters who are of any age.

People who are in the United States under certain other categories could also be able to file petitions for spouses and unmarried children. Refugees and asylees, for example, can petition for their spouses and children, and U-visa applicants can also submit applications for spouses and children before or after U-visa approval. 

Joseph & Hall P.C. assists clients with immigration matters relating to:

  • Citizenship and naturalization — Citizenship will give a person the right to vote and the ability to travel abroad without jeopardizing their right to re-enter the country. Naturalization is a different path to citizenship in which applicants have to meet requirements such as length of legal residency in the nation and proficiency in both written and spoken English.
  • Permanent residency or green card — The United States Citizenship and Immigration Services (USCIS) will approve a limited number of visas for residential or employment purposes, which is usually the first step to obtaining citizenship. 
  • Family-based immigration — There are a limited number of green cards that are awarded every year to the relatives of United States citizens and lawful permanent residents or green card holders. Green cards can be awarded to immediate family members such as parents, spouses, adult or minor children, siblings, and fiancé(e)s.
  • Deportation defense — Any noncitizen who is in the country lawfully or unlawfully can face deportation for very minor criminal offenses. 
  • Deferred Action for Childhood Arrivals (DACA) — DACA is the federal law that allows undocumented individuals who arrived in the nation at a young age to remain in the United States. This is not technically a path to citizenship or legal permanent residency, but it can allow a noncitizen to be legally employed in the country. 
  • Asylum or refugee status — Noncitizens can seek asylum in the United States for a number of reasons, including the persecution or threat of violence in their homeland based on their gender, political affiliation, race, religion, or membership in a particular social group. There are also petitions available for legal residency through the Violence Against Women Act (VAWA), another federal law. Applicants can include children or a spouse. 

Call Us Today to Schedule a Free Consultation with Aurora Family Immigration Lawyers

Are you trying to figure out how to help your family members immigrate to the United States? Joseph & Hall P.C. can work with you to make sure that you are able to achieve the immigration results you are hoping for.

Our firm understands how complex and confusing immigration laws can be for the average person, and we will take the time to explain all of your rights to you so you can make a fully informed choice. Call us or contact us online to take advantage of a free consultation that will allow us to really dig into the details of your case and discuss what options you have.


Appeals & Federal Litigation Cases


We’ve filed a case challenging the US Department of Labor over a new rule that dramatically hikes wages for H-1B, H-1B1, PERM and E-3 cases.



This case challenged the Presidential Proclamation 10014 and 10052 with respect to DV winners. The judge has certified the case as a class action …



This case challenged visa processing delays and the Trump Administration’s immigrant visa ban, Presidential Proclamation 10014.



This case features “pair[s] of star-crossed lovers” on whose lives, like Romeo and Juliet’s, a plague has wreaked havoc.



We Are Committed to Your Dreams.

Countless people dream of becoming a U.S. citizen. If your application was rejected by the USCIS, we are here to fight for your best interests.

Get in touch with us. Write us a message.

  • This field is for validation purposes and should be left unchanged.
Tap Here To Schedule An Appointment
It's Fast & Easy